Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Dinner at Basta Pasta

Sangria Bianca, muscat wine and plum wine with mango and I believe there was some grapefruit. A very refreshing drink, and the alcohol was not overpowering.

Calamari alla Griglia. The sauce on the top right is aioli sauce, and I definitely tasted mustard in it. On top of the squid is curry risotto in a sausage-like encasing.

Linguini with sea urchin and jalapeno. What is sea urchin doing in a pasta dish? Well Basta Pasta is a Japanese take on Italian cuisine. The pasta was cooked just right. The sauce took a backseat to the jalapeno even though I wouldn't call this dish spicy at all, just a nice kick to it. The sea urchin was soft and slightly creamy.

I thought a close up pic of sea urchin was needed. This was the biggest piece in the dish.

Fifi or yogurt mousse with honey gelato and various fruits. My friend finished this very quickly so I think it must have been very delicious.

Parmigiano Reggiano Cheesecake. I've never had cheesecake with this kind of texture before. Soft and airy but not creamy at all cheesecake.

My friend and I each had a drink, appetizer, pasta for main course, and dessert. The total was $120.

Basta Pasta
37 West 17th Street
New York, NY 10011-5503

2 comments:

  1. Oh, I've been there before! This was the place my boss took me to as a welcome to the company lunch. I don't remember what I ordered but I believe I didn't think it was anything special. I do remember not knowing what to order though. I always have a hard time ordering dishes at an Italian restaurant.

    That drink does look refreshing. The cheesecake looks good. I don't think I would have liked that calamari. I like them fried. That pasta dish looks interesting. For some reason, it looked like it was a cold dish.

    Welcome back! Looking forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it's hard to get wowed by Italian restaurants once you've gone to a restaurant like Babbo. The drink was very good though.

    ReplyDelete