Thursday, April 22, 2010

Dinner at Babbo (on February)

Years ago two young ladies dutifully went to school and made a pact that one day they're not just going to pass this restaurant but actually eat there. We were lucky enough to get a reservation on our first try on the phone.

A nicely grilled octopus was my appetizer. Nothing special but it was certainly tasty.

Crispy fried pig's feet. Tastes just like Filipino Krispy Pata, crunchy skin outside and moist meat inside, but this one was at least twice the cost. To be fair it didn't come with any bones.

Black spaghetti with rock shrimp and jalapeno pesto. I believe the red bits are prosciutto. This dish made me appreciate what it means to have a home made pasta done right. I could have eaten this all night with just the pasta and sauce, it almost seemed like the pasta was infused with a lot of flavor.

Beef Cheek Ravioli with Crushed Squab Liver and Black Truffles. Interesting play of different textures, from the sauce, the pasta, and the insides of the ravioli. The Balsamic vinegar in the sauce stood out but I thought it was a nice complement to the liver inside.

I had wine pairings for the first four dishes. I ordered coffee to lessen the effects of the alcohol, and this sugar tray was presented for me to pick my sweetener.

My friend picked this and she enjoyed it.

I don't believe I finished a single one of the sorbet. They were good but I had way too much to drink and eat already.

I don't remember how much the entire bill came out to, but I have to say everything seemed (relatively) reasonably priced (check their online menu for your own judgment). When you order you can also tell them that you're sharing with your companion and they will serve the dish in individual plates. Anyhow they have an ample amount of well-executed dishes which you can't have anywhere else.

Babbo
110 Waverly Place
New York, NY‎

1 comment:

  1. those pictures are pretty dark too. I think the dark color of the food didn't help either. Did you take any with flash?

    ReplyDelete