Friday, October 18, 2013

New York's Halal Chicken Cart Made At Home


This is my second time making the dish and I love the flavor of this round better. I made the chicken using Michelle Won's recipe. However I understand now why the Serious Eats version is more fussy with how the chicken is marinated and cooked. It's easier to check whether or not the chicken is cooked and you don't have to worry about the marinade overcooking and causing a sticky mess.

The white sauce was leftovers from the Serious Eats recipe. Next time I'll try Eric Rhee's White Sauce.

I cheated this time around and stuck with Sriracha for hot sauce. I have a dense Harissa sauce off the shelf and I would want to dilute it for next time. The Harissa sauce definitely has more complex flavors. At some point I would like to make Harissa from scratch using this recipe from Food52.

I used the Indian Yellow Rice recipe from this cookbook and it reminded me how much I love my Zojirushi. Perfect texture. I should add cumin to it next time a la Serious Eats. I have noticed that the Basmati Rice expands a lot more than Jasmine rice. I also need to cook from this cookbook more.

1 comment: