Saturday, November 17, 2012

Sinigang/Bulalo Style Beef Soup



I bought a Kuhn Rikon 7.4 quart pressure cooker because this dish made me a believer. Unfortunately my first run was so bad it took me a while to cook this dish again.

1 inch ginger sliced
1 tablespoon of shallots sliced
1.5 lbs of beef, the bones and marrow was a must have for me and the easiest for me to obtain was beef shank, I also threw in some neck bones and chuck
1 teaspoon of salt
3 medium sized corn, halved
2 Idaho potatoes sliced with about a half inch thickness
4 pieces of green cabbage leaves

In the pressure cooker put the ginger, shallots, beef, and salt. Add water to cover just above the other ingredients.

I have no idea how it works with the other pressure cookers but this is what I did with mine. Allow the water to boil, top lid off, then lock the lid in place. Allow the cookware to reach high pressure. Time for 20 minutes. Turn off the heat. Let the pressure release naturally, supposedly beef does not like the other methods. Do not force the cookware open and follow manufacturer instructions.

Season as desired (salt, pepper, soy sauce , Tamarind, etc). Add corn and potatoes. Allow to boil with lid off then lock the lid in place. Cook in high pressure for 2 minutes. Turn off the heat.

I couldn't wait anymore so I pressed the top of my valve per manufacturer recommendation to release pressure. I threw the cabbage in the mix and turned the heat on low simmer.

I forgot how oily this dish can be. Anyhow I'm happy I got my homemade soup in this cold weather. I would have liked to have had some taro and bok choy but my hunger dissuaded me from making another trip. Next time!


2 comments:

  1. yum! looks so delicious...i want a bowl. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I notice you have rice in there. I haven't had rice in soup in a very long time. Maybe I'll do that the next time I make my spicy sour soup.

    ReplyDelete