Monday, October 7, 2013

Another Day In One's Life


I did not eat both cronuts. Yes it was my first time. No I did not go on a line to get them. Thank you for the one who did.


More pastries from the same shop. I took a bite or two of each to taste. Good, not too sweet, but not something I'll crave etc.


I've been meaning to try out Hot Australian Guy's egg poaching method (via Sara Moulton). It really works.

Boil water in a pot. Place egg and cover with a lid. Three minutes seem to do the trick to get eggs in the medium range (slight runny yolk). I used organic egg and had it out earlier so it was at room temperature.


I made the Baked Brownie again. I finished my leftover dark chocolates- mostly Trader Joe's Pound Plus 72% Dark Chocolate, a few ounces of Valhorna, and another few ounces from TJ's other dark chocolate.

I definitely like the look of the flour and cocoa powder after they've been sifted and mixed. I guess sifting really allows for aeration and better mixing.

I had to toss out the dry mix (flour, espresso, etc.) the first round because I misread the directions and put the eggs with it. The first three eggs are supposed to be mixed in with the melted chocolate mix, after the mix reaches room temperature.

I also forgot not to over mix the chocolate mix and the eggs. I swear the brownie tasted cakey the first day, but after being in the fridge overnight, the brownies were perfect to me. Dense and chocolatey.


Rib eye steak from Ottomanelli's in Woodside. The place to get quality meats for reasonable prices.


I've made this recipe before but at the time I did not have any fresh herbs. I substituted with the following dry ingredients instead: thyme, Italian Herb mix, and garlic. I thought it turned out well so I wanted to try out fresh herbs (and better meat) for this round.

I made two of these. I had two big eaters who helped me with the eating part.

I learned that fresh herbs add enough extra flavor to be a must. Rosemary is especially good at high heat. A dash of dried garlic can't hurt either.

After the initial 4 minutes, another 10 minutes is needed to have a medium done meat. About 150F. Just remember to stick the needle in far enough, the first 3 millimiters are quite a bit warmer than the actual middle.

The juices that come out of the meat during resting (10 minutes) also tells the tale of how the inside is actually good.

Good eating. Good life.

No comments:

Post a Comment