Monday, November 12, 2012

Stove Top Skirt Steak


I'm a Costco fan and for the past month I've been eyeing their cast iron enameled pan. I succumbed to temptation and sure enough in the same trip I bought skirt steak instead of flank. The first steak run didn't go so well but I'm happy with the last two results that I've decided to keep a record of it here.

Defrost the meat in the refrigerator- if it was originally in the freezer I like to make sure I cook it within 24 hours. If it's an outside skirt steak trim as much of the fat and any skin film on the meat. Put salt on each side and some pepper if desired- coarse salt and freshly grounded pepper recommended. Leave it out for 30 minutes or so but not for hours on end.

Preheat the skillet. Once the cookware is warm, put a little bit of oil to coat the pan. I use olive oil. Allow the oil to get hot which is about 5 minutes.

Note the grain before you put the meat on the skillet. I like my grill marks to be perpendicular to the grain because it's easier for me to see the grain on raw meat than one that is cooked. Cutting against the grain is essential for a not chewy skirt steak. Also put the meat on the center of the skillet.

Do not touch it for 6 minutes. Use a heat resistant tong and flip the meat on to the other side. Allow for another 6 minutes and add additional minutes depending on doneness that is desired. Depending on the thickness of the steak, 6 minutes on each side may just get you to medium rare or medium. I like mine to be medium to medium well and I find another 2-4 minutes on each side does the job.

Let the meat rest for at least 4 minutes and it's ready to eat.

No comments:

Post a Comment